Thursday, March 19, 2015

And Then We Laugh 'Til We Cry

Have you ever heard such thing called as the International Day of Happiness? Well, apparently the UN set 20 March as such day. I guess happiness is something that is very rare these days, it needs an international day to remind people to be happy. Even the pope acknowledged that one of the biggest issue for youth today is gloom. Or, freely interpreted, the lack of happiness.

Personally, I think that being happy is overrated. Happiness, and other emotions, are means to maintain people's sanity; all of which are equally as important. Of course being happy is more desirable. But I think people today are so obsessed on their pursuit of happiness that other emotions are often being intentionally put aside in order to be happy.

As human, we experience a whole range of emotions from the bright cheerful ones to the darkest part of the abyss of your soul that only shows during your most intimate times. In today's society, the darker set of feelings are often being translated as an indication of something wrong in life. People who are down and depressed are often labeled as ungrateful, or a failure. Society desperately trying to make these people open their eyes and see the light around them without realising that these people are blinded by the unnatural light.

As I get older, I think I can better understand and respect the spectrum of emotion. Maybe people think that I am a cynic, but I disagree. I cherish the times when I feel happy, but I also cherish the moments when I feel agony, confusion, and disgrace. I think that those times shaped the way I am now. Denying them would mean nullifying all the good they have done to my life. You can never be a whole person if you only focus on your bright side. And acknowledging the dark side is a way to better connect to your inner self. Besides, based on my experience, the most badass people I know are those who has stared their dark side in the eye and continue to stand.

Yes. I'm a geek. Sue me.
Anyhoo, I think happiness is not something you need to fight for. I think it's just something you need to naturally let in. I think happiness is not about locking away your emotional baggage, but about allowing yourself to breathe in every once in a while and smile as your little niece asking you to come home soon or you watched a baby husky learning to howl. About shedding a tear when you see that extremely touching scene when Tomoe was killed by Kenshin's sword. About appreciating the moments you spend in silence with the friends that are dear to your heart, and about embracing that zing of pain when you are physically unable to hold them when they are hurting miles away from you. About opening your hearts to every single thing that you feel and still knowing that despite all, everything is okay.


This whole damn world can fall apart
You'll be OK, follow your heart

-----------------------------------------------------------------
* Nakahara Sunako's picture from the manga Perfect Girl Evolution by Hayakawa Tomoko
* Kenshin and Tomoe's picture from the manga Rurouni Kenshin by Watsuki Nobuhiro

No comments:

Post a Comment